Monday, September 07, 2009

Jiaozi

I love cooking, I'm a big fan of the bread-alone blog because Alisa puts lovely pictures of the produce, and it's always nice to know if what sounds good looks good too.

For years now I've been moaning about how you can't find jiaozi (Chinese) or gyoza (Japanese).
If Japanese people don't think it's the same I apologize, last time I ate gyoza I was 8 and it tasted the same to me
Silly me never bothered goggling it.. That is until now.

It was our Free day today and Peter Nicole, Oli and I made a large batch..it was very bonding, not to mention fun to watch the boys rolling and pinching.
Unfortunately I didn't take pictures of us covered in flour messing up the kitchen but I do have pictues of what it is so you know what your getting into.









Here is the recipe for all you missing Asia (you can substitute basicaly any veggie inside the filling, I've had them with carrots and black mushrooms and water chestnuts..it al tastes good)







Jiaozi dough:
3 cups all-purpose flour
Up to 1 1/4 cups cold water (use only as much water as you need to make a unsticky dough)
1/4 teaspoon salt
Filling
1 cup ground pork or beef
1 TB soy sauce
1 teaspoon salt
1 TB Chinese rice wine or dry sherry (can even use vinegar)
You can add a bit of cooked and chopped rice noodles...if you want to stretch it
3 TB sesame oil
1/2 green onion, finely minced
1 1/2 cups finely shredded cabbage
4 tablespoons shredded bamboo shoots(not super necessary)
2 slices fresh ginger, finely minced (I always use the grater)
1 clove garlic, peeled and finely minced
Sauce
1 T. Each light soy, dark soy, and rice vinegar
1/4 t. Minced garlic
1/4 t. Minced ginger
4 drops hot chili oil"
I chop a bit of spring onion greens inside, you can put the green part of a leek if you cant find spring onions

5 comments:

Monica said...

YAY!!! Soo good, now I can steal your sauce, you were always so good at making it! Just to bad I wasn't there to bum some dumplings off you guys. Ha... Acctully, I can imagin you you telling me off for my consistant snitching.

Gia said...

they're called ''momos'' in Tibet and Nepal.
...pretty much all the same ingredients, and they're fabulous! wish i could have tasted yours :)

Babylove said...

oh wowzer, love your picture, I'm just drooling. I don't know what "authentic" gyoza should taste like but here the MUST/GO TO ingr. is definately nira/flat garlic chive stems. Singaporean bombshell lady friend urged me to saute the ginger/garlic/nira/cabbage in sesame oil till it goes "aromatic" (can't miss it like a gyoza bomb) then mix the ingr. Sooo hungry now!

PS Tx 4 the props

Aiko said...

I miss that about China. Japanese gyoza is great too, but I still miss the Chinese ones.
After reading this, I think I know what I will do with the kids tomorrow. Txs for this fun post.

Anonymous said...

Wow...nice food.
Now how about pics? :D