Saturday, July 21, 2007

What time I am afraid I will trust in Thee

*I BELIEVE ...
I believe in the sun, even when it is not shining;
I believe in love, even when I feel it not;
I believe in God, even when He is silent.

*Bishop Bashford, in one of his Episcopal tours in China, was one night compelled to sleep outdoors, under the trees, the hotel keeper warning him about marauders. Being watchful & wakeful awhile, he thought of the words of the Psalmist, & then said to the Lord, "There is no use both of us being wake," so he slept the sleep of the just.

*The local parks commission had been ordered to remove the trees from a certain street which was to be widened. As they were about to begin, the foreman & his men noticed a robin's nest in one of the trees & the mother robin sitting on the nest. The foreman ordered the men to leave the tree until later.
Returning, they found the nest occupied by little wide-mouthed robins. Again they left the tree. When they returned at a later date they found the nest empty. The family had grown & flown away. But something at the bottom of the nest caught the eye of one of the workmen--a soiled little white card. When he had separated it from the mud & sticks, he found that it was a small Sunday school card & on it the words, "We trust in the Lord our God."

*He does not believe that does not live according to his belief.

*Life asks no questions that faith cannot answer.

*For feelings come & feelings go,
And feelings are deceiving;
My warrant is the Word of God,
Naught else is worth believing.
Though all my heart should feel condemned
For want of some sweet token,
There is One greater than my heart
Whose word cannot be broken.
I'll trust in God's unchanging Word
Till soul & body sever;
For, though all things shall pass away,
His Word shall stand forever.
--Martin Luther

*If your faith cannot move mountains, it ought to at least climb them.

*Faith helps us walk fearlessly, run confidently, & live victoriously.

*Hannah Whithall Smith tells about a man sliding down a rope into a well. He supposed the rope to be of ample length, but to his dismay he reached the end of it without touching the bottom of the well with his feet. He tried in vain to climb up the rope, & dared not let go for fear of being dashed to pieces. He held on as long as he could, & when utterly exhausted let the rope slip from his grasp. He fell--just three inches!

No comments: